Tuesday, July 05, 2005

good stuff

So I'm in a relatively good mood despite the fact that my Italian co-worker in a concerned tone just asked me what was wrong with me, and it was because there was like half a sheet of toilet paper stuck to my face. Sleeping 12 hours helps, but it's not enough to make me wake up more quicky in the mornings.

But anyway, it's a beautiful day today, and I thought I'd try and list a few completely random things that I've been enjoying most generally about Switzerland, before spending the day reading about sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) and telecom deliveries.

1) YOGURT here is excellent. I had hazelnut yogurt for breakfast. Yum. Even though half the reason it's so good is that it's not low-fat, there's more to it than that.

2) FREE MUSIC like all the time. The Lake Parade is this week-end which is supposed to be a huge event.

3) KEBAB places everywhere to feed those of us wanting to save money. They sort of fill the Mission burrito role, except that the portion sizes are smaller, and in my sacriligeous opinion, they're better. (Sorry, burned out on burritos that summer that I ate them 4 times a week from Farolito).

4) METRICIZED paper. It's just constant office amusement for me that paper here is not 8.5" x 11". Even the ruler in word is in centimeters.

5) PUBLIC SPACE everywhere that is clean, beautiful, filled with people to the point of liveliness without claustraphobia. The beach was incredible on Sunday - some pictures will be forthcoming at some point this week when I can take the time to do this.

6) CHOCOLATE is very good, though there is a surprising amount of milk chocolate around. But the dark chocolate is stellar and affordable.

7) CHEESE of course is excellent - good goat cheeses - though I have not done fondue yet.

8) BIKE RENTALS for free. I've picked up 2 free biking maps and plan to go on an excursion sometime soon. I've been told that one has to get there ideally by 9am to secure one for the day, so it involves getting up earlier.

9) TRAINS are expensive but wonderful for getting around. Beautiful views, convenient stations, half-price pass provides an illusion of feeling it's a little less expensive.

10) WINE that is relatively inexpensive compared to everything else. Cheaper than water in many cases (though that's more a relection of high water prices than anything else).

11) Forgetting the obvious, the LAKE, the JET D'EAU, the TREES, etc., Geneva is a super pleasant place for just being around.

This doesn't feel that creative, but those are the random thoughts floating around my head. Maybe I'll make a more subtle list at some time that goes beyond food and urban planning. Back to work now.

Oh, and my team won quiz night on Sunday at Mr. Pickwick's! Theme: Summer and Sex. We won by several points despite having consumed multiple pitchers of Boddingtons and Erdingers. The prize: 12 units (presumably pints) of beer. Karaoke on Sunday, here we come...

Cheers-
Leo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home