Sunday, March 11, 2007

Scent Activates Memory During Sleep, Study Says - New York Times

Scent Activates Memory During Sleep, Study Says - New York Times: "The researchers delivered pulses of rose bouquet during this slow-wave state; the odor did not interrupt sleep, and the students said they had no memory of it.
But their brains noticed, and they retained an almost perfect memory of card locations. The students scored an average of 97 percent on the card game, compared with 86 percent when they played the concentration game and slept without being perfumed by nighttime neuroscience faeries."

I'm convinced my brain knows to work when I'm in a coffee shop (the smell of coffee works partly). I think it's silly, but I really work so much better when I am smelling coffee. I think that it triggers something in my brain. My most productive 90 minutes last week were reading articles while having coffee at the new Peet's near work. The only thing is that the article's about smelling the smell linked with learning while sleeping. I suppose it's worth a shot...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home